Saturday, January 12, 2013

Focus on Life-Week Two: your word

This is week two of Sally Russick's Focus on Life project.  The prompt for this week was 'your word' - what one word/resolution that is your mantra for 2013.  I've never done one-word resolutions or themes before; in fact, I've never really done resolutions at all until this year.  2012 was a year of big shifts in thinking for me, and I did a lot of things that were overdue.

There's definitely more to come in 2013, and I pondered over the word I wanted to embrace this year.  Several times I tried on different words, each of which felt good, but didn't quite fit.  A little loose across the shoulders; a little tight in the hips; a little too short in the legs.

But then I found it; or rather, it found me.  I opened my mind, my heart, my soul and asked the Universe to speak to me.  It suggested a word, and when I tried it on, I knew it was mine.  Putting on this word felt like slipping on a loose poncho, one made of furs and skins and tanned leather and ancient beads.  It felt warm and comfortable and sacred.  It felt right. 

My word for 2013 is WILD.

For me, the meaning of this word is well written by Clarissa Pinkola Estes in Women Who Run With the Wolves:

"When women reassert their relationship with the wildish nature, they are gifted with a permanent and internal watcher, a knower, a visionary, an oracle, an inspiratrice, an intuitive, a maker, a creator, an inventor, and a listener who guide, suggest, and urge vibrant life in the inner and outer worlds.  When women are with the Wild Woman, the fact of that relationship glows through them.  This wild teacher, wild mother, wild mentor supports their inner and outer lives, no matter what.

So, the word wild here is not used in its modern pejorative sense, meaning out of control, but in its original sense, which means to live a natural life, on in which the criatura, creature, has innate integrity and healthy boundaries.  These words, wild and woman, cause women to remember who they are and what they are about.  They create a metaphor to describe the force which funds all females.  They personify a force that women cannot live without."

To me, this word embodies a return: to a more natural life, to my own true nature, to remembering myself and what makes me shine, to an intention to be fully me and everything that means.

For many reasons, I feel as though the last bundle of years has been lived in a shadow, a deep shadow that hid my true nature.  I feel as though I'm beginning to strip away the layers of masks and costumes I have sewed to my skin, and in doing so I'm remembering who I really am.  Wild.

Thanks to all the beautiful souls who took the time to visit my last post and leave comments.  Know that each and every one of you is a treasure.

Visit Sally Russick's blog The Studio Sublime to visit the other participants as well.

10 comments:

  1. I remember reading that bookmin collenge and being moved by it. Thank you for the memories and the morivation to dig that book out again. Your word is so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a truly wonderful word and i so love CPE - she's such a wise, wise woman!
    i'm no. 21 on the list btw :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post! My "masks and costumes" have evolved from years of how I thought people should see me. It's time we see ourselves as we should be and not live by expectations put upon us by others. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your word!!! And what a great post about allowing ourselves to tap into our inner wild woman. I'm a timid person so maybe I need to try on that poncho you mentioned....

    Thanks for sharing this insightful message!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting take on the word wild, we can all gain a lot from your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring choice. Very interesting to read the description by Clarissa. And what it means to you. We should all be wild women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post very much! thank you for the perspective on the word wild, what a great inspiration for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wild, yes but your choice of a picture to illustrate the wild concept is controlled, I think this says that you will use your wild side to create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a powerful word and worthy of aspiring to. I admire you for choosing to strip away the masks and costumes and being who you really are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful passage! I love that there are many layers of meaning to this word. A return to a natural state, an embracing of the most basic of instincts. This is a great word! I wish you joy in the journey in 2013. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete